- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 vanilla bean/pod
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey or agave
- Roast the hazelnuts at 350 degrees until the skins start crackling and slight brown about 8-10 mins.
- Remove from oven and rub vigorously with a small towel cloth to remove the skin.
- Return the nuts to the oven, and continue roasting until dark golden brown and are ‘sweaty’ with their natural oils.
- Pour the alcohol into a glass jar, and then add in the hazelnuts while still sizzling hot.
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds, and put the seeds and pod all into the glass jar.
- Seal and store in a cool, dark dry place for at least 4 weeks.
- After 4 weeks, drain the hazelnuts and vanilla bean from the vodka mixture. Crush the hazelnuts roughly, and add them to a saucepan with the water and honey.
- Heat the vodka mixture until honey dissolves and start to boils.
- Transfer to blender and blend it as fine as possible than strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- That it, enjoy and remember to store homemade extract in the fridge.